Wednesday, March 22, 2017

Landon the Inspirition

Good evening!

My daughter has swim lessons over the next few weeks.  We thought it would be a great opportunity for her to increase her skills and confidence in the water.  I'm proud to say she is enjoying herself and learning quite a bit.  Its fun to sit and watch her growing up before my very eyes.

Something else caught my eye tonight.  There was a little boy named Landon who was about 40 skinny pounds of dynamite.  There was an energy that was infectious and at the same time a little random.  There were a few things about him that reminded me of a young Tyler, only significantly more under control.  My instincts told me that while he was doing very well, he was operating within the autism spectrum.  

At one point the kids were asked to stand on the side and try doing a cannonball jump into the pool.  My daughter, who does not like going under, held her breath and bit the bullet.  I was so proud of her.  Landon was also hesitating.  We could see that he was trying to work up the courage but no matter how close he got to taking the plunge he couldn't get himself to take the leap.  The instructor calmly reasoned with him.  "You can do this", "look how far you have come already".  My wife and I found ourselves almost willing him to give it a try.

Then it happened.  He jumped.  I tell you I don't know how he even got wet because he leaped back out of the pool with the widest grin you could ever see.  His mom ran over to him and gave him a huge hug.  "I DID IT!!" he screamed, "THIS IS THE GREATEST DAY EVER!!".  He wanted to get back at it and do it again.  

That was the essence of special needs parenting in one magical moment.  Landon had a hurdle in front of him that for most children is a small one, but for him, the process is different.  But with support from his parents, some good compassionate instruction, and a bit of courage, he overcame.  If you have been on the autism spectrum front lines, this is a BIG DEAL.  Every step forward, every little victory, every inch gained is worth its weight in gold.

I also got to meet Landon's special needs companion dog named Apollo.  Apollo provides emotional support to Landon to help him sleep, and to help him calm himself when he gets overstimulated.  Apollo is a beautiful and devoted companion to Landon, which you can see instantly.  They make a great pair.  Both of them are truly inspiring...and we can all use all the inspiration we can get.

Feel free to visit them at their Facebook page.... 4 paws 4 autism

Please like them, share them, and show them some love!


Be well and God Bless.   Tom


Click to Comment!

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment! It will be added once it is reviewed. Have a nice day!