Sunday, January 8, 2017

Small but Mighty

In my own personal life's journey I have struggled with my faith.  It's not an easy thing to admit but it's true.  I especially struggle with the suffering that we experience in this world. It breaks my heart to see war, starvation, and loss.  I don't understand why there are so many children who live in desperation.  I don't understand why so many people are mentally ill and become abandoned and abused.  I've questioned Tyler's role and my role in the entire grand scheme.  

So today as we sat and prayed in church, our pastor invited any of us who had any particular need, or knew of someone with a particular need, to lift it before the congregation. What I heard was very real anguish and pain.  Many of those who spoke up had experienced challenges that seemed brutal and devastating.  I was unable to wrap my head around it all.  And being that this is my biggest area of weakness, it was especially hard to hear.

Then I remembered an offhanded comment I heard at the very beginning of the service. Seeing that the cold and snowy weather had kept the attendance to a modest level, a church musician began by smiling and saying "we are small but we are mighty!".  When I looked around I saw how truly appropriate this statement was.  These good people described such incredible need and yet they were still standing.  They weren't cowering in a corner or curled up under the covers, but rather they were sharing their story and facing their challenges.  They were reaching out to each other and for each other.

The support, love, and faith among this small but mighty group was palpable.  You could FEEL the compassion surrounding all of us.  It felt as though no matter what roadblock was in front of each of us, we had the collective power and grace to persevere.  

I may never understand why we experience suffering, and it may never get any easier for me to accept, but I can say that I learned some valuable things from my new friends today.  I l learned that what matters is that we keep moving forward.  Just because we cannot yet see the light at the end of the tunnel doesn't mean it isn't there.  And no matter how dark things may seem, we can all link arms and walk together until the light returns.  

Yes ma'am, we are small in number but we are mighty at heart. 



Click for Comments!

  1. Amen to that! No matter how dark, the Son always shines! Such a blessing to worship with you and your family today...hope to see you again soon. Cele and Scott McCloskey

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Tom. We are so blessed to have your family among us as friends. You are such a fine example of strength and God is certainly using you to touch lives. Blessings

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment! It will be added once it is reviewed. Have a nice day!