Sunday, August 18, 2019

A Favorite Tyler Memory

Just the other day Samantha looked at Tyler's graduation picture and asked me about it.  It brought back a wonderful memory that I hadn't shared for a while.  It's a story worth repeating....

When Tyler turned 21 he legally fulfilled his obligation to school and was able to graduate.  We were approached about how we would like him to receive his diploma.  Because he lived in Northeastern school district, and we paid the school taxes to them, he would receive their diploma, even though he didn't attend school there.  In reality, he attended his later school years at West York Middle School because that is where a suitable multi-disabilities class was housed.  To muddy the story a bit, he was actually under the guidance of a district called Lincoln Intermediate which housed classrooms within other districts.  So to recap...he was a student of Lincoln Intermediate, living in Northeastern, attending school in West York.  Need a scorecard yet?

He could graduate with the senior class at Northeastern....but he didn't know anyone there and they didn't know them.  He could graduate with a group from Licoln Intermediate, but again he didn't know them.  He could even graduate with the senior class of West York but again, same issue.  And I realized that the middle school was his home.  He was loved there.  The kids knew him there.  The faculty knew him there.  He was respected and taken care of there.  So I requested that he graduate THERE.  The school decided that at the end of the year, during an awards assembly, he would walk the stage and receive his diploma.  I requested permission to give a speech on his behalf, which they gladly obliged.

On graduation day his teacher stepped to the podium and began to speak.  She had loved him and taken care of him for 13 years and all of that seemed to come to the surface.  She wanted to make a speech, but instead she cried.  Those emotions spoke clearer and louder than any words would have done justice.  Dedication, love, encouragement, challenges, and triumph all flowed from her.  Miss Sue was and always will be his school Mom.

It was my turn.  I had written a speech and practiced it.  When I began to read the speech it didn't take long before my thoughts left it.  I was just going to say it from the heart.  I thanked everyone for the love and respect they surrounded him with.  It was every person in that room who lifted him up and carried him onto that stage.  They all walked with him to receive that honor in one way or another.  They played basketball with him, high-fived him in the halls, cheered him, and protected him.  I was as proud of them as I was of him.

Tyler then walked the stage to receive his diploma.  What happened next was pure magic that I will take with me to eternity.  Every person in the auditorium gave him a standing ovation.  They cheered him and clapped for him.  His perseverance moved them to tears and cheers.  For a moment time seemed to stand still as the love rained down on him.  It still gives me chills to close my eyes and remember that day.

This is a memory I visit sometimes when I want to remember the tremendous love that has so often surrounded him.  And it's a story that I can share with Sam to let her know the world can be a compassionate place if you look in the right places.

Be well and God bless.  Tom

Click to Comment!

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment! It will be added once it is reviewed. Have a nice day!