Sunday, August 18, 2019

Another Day the Blog Nearly Died

This afternoon I received a call from a very wonderfully lady who was asked by the church to call me and inform me that the blog has once again been suspended.  The church is currently deciding whether or not to permanently disassociate itself from the blog.  They will be meeting Tuesday night and will make this a point of discussion.  The theme is essentially...do some of my blog posts cross the line of being "too political".

To be fair, there was a sentence in my post yesterday that did not correctly represent a point I was making,  My point was how we often see church leaders stump for a candidate they believe align with the values of their church, and yet opposing views don't belong because they are too political.  It's hypocritical.  I was not referring to my own experience at OUR church, but I did not draw that distinction.  I enjoy the current environment and the message being delivered and have no intention of leading anyone to believe otherwise.  I've actually edited that post to reflect this distinction.

However, to deny that politics is not a part of special needs parenting would be to deny the existence of air.  Politicians control the funding by which Tyler and all others like him rely on to live.  Laws are made or not made which protect special needs individuals.  And politicians are the first line of authority that people watch to find out where we stand in the world.  So to say...no Tom you can't post anything political would be to deny that politics has any stake in the life that Tyler and I live.

This blog belongs to Tyler and his story.  And I have maintained for years that sometimes that story will inspire, sometimes it will provoke thought, and sometimes it will challenge our thinking.  But it will always be honest and true to who we are.  It will deal with points of view, all points of view, and without apology.

Sadly, a group of people will decide whether two posts out of the hundreds written, is too politically sensitive for them to keep it linked to the website.  Make no mistake, this is their choice to make.  I suppose it will left to a vote to well meaning folks who do not understand the actual point of the blog itself.  It's an expression of how I perceive the world around Tyler.  The WHOLE WORLD.  Not the world except for this subject or that subject.  That how it has always been and that's how it will stay.

I'm going to focus on the 60,000 people who have read the blog across the world.  The people who I've talked to in airports, neighborhoods, and by email who have said that because of the honesty and unapologetic things posted in the blog that it has helped them to cope with their own situation.  I will continue to write for them. I will continue to write for me as my way of making sense of what goes on around us.

As for whatever discussions that happen around the blog, I don't want to be involved.  I'm not going to justify a single word, nor should I be asked to.  For years I've written from my heart and that's how it will stay.

Be Well and God Bless.   Tom

Click to Comment!

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment! It will be added once it is reviewed. Have a nice day!