Thursday, June 15, 2017

Father's Day

Good Morning!


First of all...happy Father's Day to all of the dad's out there.  I believe there is NOTHING in this world more important that a man can do to contribute to mankind than being a good husband and father.  Many of the issues that we face today can be traced directly to the lack of a father figure in so many lives.  

My father was raised in a very different age than I was, and certainly different than that of my children.  He was raised to believe that a father was the sole provider and disciplinarian. The mother's "job" was to tend the house and raise the children.  It might be easy today to look down on a stereotypical upbringing like this, but this was just the society he and his parents grew up in.  There were not a lot of expressions of love and affection to go along with this set of beliefs.  It was more an implied thing.  After all....putting food on the table and having a bed to sleep in shows that he cared about you.

I think I can safely say that I am different than my dad in many ways.  He is extremely mechanically inclined.  He has worked on cars and machines and all sorts of stuff.  I'm lucky if I can get a can opener to work right (no...seriously).  When my employees saw me with a tool in my hand, they would make sure somebody had a phone at the ready to call 9-1-1 (no..seriously).  My dad is not what I would consider a social and expressive person.  I teach classes, write blogs, and smile at strangers.  My dad believes that strength is about how you project how strong you are, while I believe strength is how vulnerable you can allow yourself to be.

There are a few things that I am very blessed to have learned from him however.  I learned that being a good father is to be fearlessly devoted.  I've learned that being honest and doing the right thing is what has to be done, even when it's painful.  I've learned that I make the world better when I raise my children to have respect for others.  And I've learned that while I'm on this earth, no matter how I choose to do it, I should be a person that can be relied upon by his family and friends.

If I leave this earth tomorrow, I want people to say that I was a good neighbor, a good friend, a good husband, and most especially a good dad.  I want my children to live on and know that they were loved and cherished in the best way their dad knew how.  And I want for my daughter to someday carry that love and devotion to her own husband and children.

Happy Father's Day to all dad's out there.  And God bless.     Tom

Click to Comment!

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment! It will be added once it is reviewed. Have a nice day!