Wednesday, September 18, 2019

Thinking of Sam Today

You have seen my daughter, Sam, express her thoughts here on the blog.  Well, today I am thinking about her as she attempts a new endeavor.  

Sam came home last week and asked if she could run for student Senate at school.  She was very excited as she explained that she feels like she is a good leader and would be good at voicing the needs of her class.  Her idea was to represent things that everyone could enjoy, regardless of social stature.  She wants a beautiful and all-inclusive school for everyone.  We encouraged her to run and to win!  I asked her what she wanted her speech to say, and helped her put the words together.

Last night came around and she had an emotional meltdown right before bed.  She was afraid she was going to be the one person that wouldn't get elected.  She was afraid that she wouldn't get any votes because she isn't one of the most popular girls.  She was afraid of looking like a fool with nobody raising their hand for her.

I told her how I had been there many times.  In fact, she is braver than I am because I wouldn't have had the guts to run for anything back during my school days.  With years of experience I have come to realize that its more about what I believe in myself than what the masses believe.  But I'm 49, not 10 and trying to find my way.  It occurred to me that the advice I was giving her is true for so many things.  Some of us face tremendous challenges where fear has a grip on us, some of us are caring for loved ones who are facing those challenges and fears, and some of us are trying to navigate even these types of small disasters.  I said...

You know in your heart that you will be great.  You know you want it for the right reasons.  You go in there with your chin up.  Stand there and give the best speech we've got and do it with your chin up.  When the votes are counted, you keep your chin up, win or lose.  If you win, be gracious to those who didn't.  If you lose, be gracious to those who did, and keep your chin up.  Its ok to be disappointed in the result, but don't be disappointed that you were brave enough to try.  Only 3 students in the class dared to try, and that alone makes them all winners.

Of course I'm hoping that when I get home she is walking on clouds.  It would be a great lesson to never sell herself short and to strive for goals that even she isn't sure she can reach.  I'm obviously not wanting to go home to a pile of sobbing 10-year-old.  That lesson will have to be to never give up, especially when you believe you can make a difference.

Either way, my heart goes out to her because I am so proud that she is the kind of person deep down that wants to stand up and be heard, especially for people that can't do it for themselves.  In many ways, its a path of incredible satisfaction and disappointment.  Let's see which one I'm going home to today...

Ahhh....the joys of being a Dad!

Be well and God bless.   Tom

Click to Comment!

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment! It will be added once it is reviewed. Have a nice day!